When it's almost midnight, and you're working on the most complicated lace you've ever made, when you have a chart you can barely understand and your progress is slow because you need to stare at the chart at all times, and you find a stitch several rows below that is actually in the right place, and there's no visible mistake (for a relative value of visible), but you split the stitch (knitting between the two strands of a 2-ply yarn)...
Trying to fix it before a good night of sleep is the worst idea ever.
I'm going to leave it until tomorrow, and then I'll try again. If I can't fix it, there goes 2 days of progress.
I've been feeling guilty for the lack of posts, and always planning an awesome comeback that never appeared, so I'll just cut it and show what's going on with my spindles:
The Sassy Sheep sw merino in Katie's Rainbow on the Schacht, undyed tussah silk from World or Wool on the Jenkins Turkish Delight, blue tussah from Wingham Wool Work being plied on the Hound Dervish (singles were spun on a Bosworth Featherweight.)
Fiber Optic Siren Song Unspun (after handcarding) on the Gripping Yarn russian, AbbyBatts in Estreno on the pink ivory Spanish Peacock russian, just-begun Ashland Bay in McKenzie on the tulipwood Spanish Peacock (not sure if I'll go on with this fiber/spindle combo yet.)
I felt like I've been on the brink of finishing this shawl for ages, and never really got to it. It's finally done! Remember thisyarn? It's all grown up now:
The pattern is High Seas, by Kieran Foley, knit with my own handspun (light gray cashmere/mulberry silk), less than 800 yards on 3,75mm needles. The pattern has a pretty long repeat, 40 rows, and it's partially patterned on both sides. Something I learned the hard way: pay attention to the bolded lines dividing the different zones on the chart. I didn't, and ended up repeating the whole chart for the starting border, instead of only the 2 central squares that make the eyelets. When I was done I ended up frogging the starting border stitch by stitch, from the cast-on edge, and re-knitting it using the finishing border chart. Way too much work that could have been easily avoided.
Like the yarn, the shawl changes its colour depending on the light conditions. This pic, where it looks really gray, shows very well the white spots on the yarn, from where the silk got more concentrated:
In a different light it looks a little brown, or even a little golden:
Notice too how the cashmere gives the shawl a little, subtle halo, while the silk makes it look a little shiny, and the lots of twist on the yarn give a crispy stitch definition:
My favourite part is the little waves, though. I've already blocked the shawl, but they still have movement and texture.